Monday 1 February 2016

Exploitative vs Unexploitative Learning Curve

So if you haven't noticed but the strategy I have been using so far is more Unexploitative & math based. For the most part this clarified a lot of things for me, such as what is the correct play but more importantly it help drew a vivid and solid picture for how I can exploit later on.

I want to be the first to recommend that if you are looking to improve your game, this may be the route you want to take, by getting into the unexploitative game style numbers on HUDs starts to make a lot more sense and spots become a lot more easier.

So as I continue to work on my Unexploitative game I want to purchase the Coffeyay Heads Up HUD to maximize my exploitative game. I'm beginning to understand so much more about what type of hands should be continuing and how it relate to combos. So far the most exploitation I been doing in my game came from Preflop only and look at my results so far. I am thinking that to have 10% ROI and higher, I will need to strengthen my unexploiative knowledge and my villians would bluntly let me know exactly which spots they are making mistakes in.

Betsizing:

This have been the key for all mathematical decisions. Opening sizes, cbet sizes, etc. There is an important theory I have developed that I will be putting into full practice later on:

(Learn more about my ratio by checking at Red Chip Poker under Doug's Range Construction Video Series)

Based on range and ratio:

I came with this theory that bet-sizing should probably be different every street as my ratio of value:bluff changes. Each street has a larger sizing which sets up a nice dynamic on the river. This is really the default bet-sizing plan I have in play now.

However bet-sizing will probably change under certain circumstances: 

Capped Range: Usually when I say Capped Range I am specifically talking about a spot where Its hard to have the monsters on previous streets because they would be in a different range (For eg. Check flop and turn, makes it hard to have Top pair or 2 pair). However in a spot where I have a capped range but improve to a value hand (For eg. Check 2 streets with A2 on K726 and facing a river card 2 or A), I typically would consider an overbet here. Thing is, its not common to run into a player who slow plays too much, and in a spot where my default image is to be a big better I can level players who isn't thinking about my range too much into calling. At this point the pot will usually be pretty small, especially if early on in the match so it isn't super scary as stack threatening or anything.

Exploitative Value-Only Range:  Let's say I am in a spot where villain usually folds more than he should on the turn but decided this time he calls my turn bet. This is an exploitative spot where he is more likely to have a hand he can call with and usually this would be a spot to not have a bluffing range but based on my hand strength I will size my bet differently, being weaker hands = smaller bets and stronger hands = bigger bets. This may change into being where I just bet on the smaller size vs better players who will likely have a hand he can call with.

So on the other hand if you haven't figured out, I am more likely to size smaller with a value only range and size bigger with a balanced, default game style range, with the exception of having a capped range spot, where I just really pull the trigger. These spots should be much easier to spot as i continue to work on my unexploitative game where the outcome should mean I should be 100x tougher, hopefully just soul crushing stakes in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Very clear post, thanks. I am going through Doug's videos before I get back to you on that other hand, and I'm glad your vigorous approach is working out. I have been playing as optimally as I know how to do, which is limited, and as a full ring game allows for the past month and the results have been very good. Plus, when I deviated and went back to some very crude exploitative things yesterday, I got owned over and over by sticky players. The discipline of a solid framework makes everything easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the really good things that is working out from this, is no more tough spots, in a vacuum. If I can't figure out what your doing then I'll just play unexploitable and it really works out. Also, it makes me less incline to take exploitable spots until I am almost positive it is what it is. I think if I ever go back to cash games, I could see myself literally doubling my win-rate.

      Glad the information is helpful though.

      Delete